2017-18 FAFSA Changes


The FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is changing this year! 2016-17 High School Seniors will need to complete the FAFSA starting October 1st instead of January 1st. Students AND parents need to create a FSA ID in order to apply for financial aid. Remember, completing the FAFSA is free and the earlier you complete it the more likely you will receive financial aid if eligible. This change affects current college students as well who will be re-applying for financial aid withe FAFSA. Below are several resources to help you complete your 2017-18 FAFSA in a timely manner.

  1. FAFSA Changes
  2. FAFSA Checklist
  3. Create Your FSA ID
  4. Complete the FAFSA




Mary Jo Young Scholarship



+ Be enrolled in dual credit courses at a Kentucky college.
+ Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
+ Be a legal resident of Kentucky.
+ Be a high school junior or senior during the 2016-2017 academic year.
+ Either have an ACT composite score of 18 or higher; OR achieve a grade point average
(GPA) of 2.5 or higher for the 2015-2016 academic year.


+ Up to $420 for one course or $840 for two courses.
+ Reimbursement of textbook cost up to $125 for one course or $250 for two courses.


+ Applications for the 2016-2017 year will be available March 1, 2016. The deadline to apply
is May 15, 2016.

Sign or register on the KHEAA website to apply.

Transferring Dual Credits?


Many parents and students have questions and concerns about transferring Dual Credit courses from a KCTCS school to another Kentucky college or university.  Here are a few resources that will help answer questions and hopefully put your mind at ease as you prepare for the future.

How JCTC Classes Transfer


KCTCS Transfer Policies and Agreements 

Another easy way to find out if the school/degree program will accept your credits is to contact the University/College Transfer Department.  Searching for a Transfer Credit Equivalency website will help as well.  As an example, go to Google and search for University of Louisville Transfer Credit Equivalency ” . Use this strategy and replace it with the college/university you plan on attending.